SELF-DIRECTED RESIDENCIES - WINTER 2020 - NOW CLOSED
This is the second winter for our Self-directed Residency Program. Photographers, artists, filmmakers or writers are invited to apply for 1-3 month residencies between January 1st and March 31st, 2020. Priority will be given to artists with a particular interest in photography.
Residency and Facilities:
- 2 furnished bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom and laundry area.
- 2 studio spaces, which can also be used as a gallery for self-organized presentations.
- Access to a black and white analogue darkroom.
- Digital imaging workspace with Epson Pro 850 scanner and Canon Pro 100-S Printer (A3+).
- Inspiring fjordside views.
- Ströndin is ideal for artist couples, or for two artists who would want to share the residency.
- The cost of residency is 120.000 ISK per month.
- Includes: electricity, heat, and 60gb of Internet access per month. Additional access is available.
- Local host to welcome you to Seyðisfjörður and facilitate contacts during your stay.
- Our program is currently unfunded but we are happy to provide letters of invitation so that artists may apply for funding from other sources.
- The fee can be split between 2 artists who wish to share the residency.
What you should know:
- We are located at Strandavegur 29-33, 2.2 kms from the center of Seyðisfjörður town. Seyðisfjörður is 25 kilometers from Egilsstadir and the closest domestic airport.
- There is no public transportation in Seyðisfjörður . The walk from Ströndin to town is 20-25 minutes.
- Ströndin does not provide a car or transport during your residency. We do arrange for pick-up and drop-off upon arrival and departure from the community center in Seyðisfjörður .
- Winter conditions in Iceland are unpredictable. These conditions emphasize the isolation of this residency.
- The mountain road between Seyðisfjörður and Egilsstaðir often closes in winter. Driving in winter in Iceland can be dangerous and snow can limit mobility.
- Snow conditions in the surrounding mountains can cause an avalanche danger. In the case of heavy snow conditions, residents would be alerted of the danger and temporarily relocated.
Submit a one-page letter of intention for the residency, some samples or links to your work, and your CV, packaged together in a single PDF. Please include your contact info. Couples, collaborators or shared residencies should indicate these details in their letters. Your PDF document should not exceed 12 pages and must be under 20mb total. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for January, February, March 2020: October 15th, 2019.
Successful applicants will be notified within 21 days of the deadline.